Summer School Health’s Nourished program is a broad approach to providing nutrition education and better access to food, resulting in better health of children. We want to do this by asking families, schools, and students to eat healthy food. Family engagement, better district regulation, system, environment, nutrition education, advocacy, and improving food quality in schools. To make this possible, we want to develop families and schools’ capacity to make sure that schools serve healthy food. Here are some of the primary elements of the program:
- School meal programming through child nutrition programs
- Strategies and evidence-based curriculum about better nutrition
- Creating learning initiatives to provide students opportunities to learn and discover more about food and understand the connection between healthy food and emotional health
- Opportunities for students to use the knowledge and skills from their experiences, communities, and culture.
- Sessions about capacity building focused on nutrition best practices and school nutrition policies.